Monday, August 28, 2006

Before I start bitching I want to tell you about a wonderful encounter I had this afternoon with a crazy guy. All the time people come upto me in Amsterdam, either asking for money, offering drugs or asking for directions. I've learned to say NO very forcefully, or give directions.. This guy was different. In a think Germanic accent, this guy came up to me and said;

Guy: Would you like funny joke that make you laugh funny? If you really like, I tell you even funnier joke.
Me: Sure
Guy: Okay.

and then he just walked away. Without a joke. Quite funny.

Anyway, I've been thinking in my mind about compiling a list of qualifications one must attain in order to live as an expat in a country that speaks a different language. Here's the start.

1. You must feel like an ignorant, confused ass 80% of the time, especially when speaking with anyone else or trying to get anything done at the bank.

2. Don't ever expect anything from the government or service industry. It will come when it's ready. Expectations fall on deaf ears.

3. Never go out expecting you are going to have this wonderful day and accomplish something. Usually some cultural force with stop those sails and you will end up running around like a chicken with your head cut off, accomplishing nothing in the process.

I had a lovely day :)

No comments: