Sunday,
My camera is giving me fits with my new computer and I cannot seem to get the pictures from Prague off it right now. The new MAC is fantastic, but I do have three growing pains that need sorting out, so off to the Mac store I will go this week to see if they can't use their expertise to assuage my idiocy.
Well, Prague Prague Prague... Forgive me blog and the 4 readers who check it out for not updating while I was there, but Internet was limited and I was not there to check my e-mail. I will try below to give some sort of a synopsis of my traversing in Prague. It wasn't all that entertaining, so it shouldn't take too long.
I arrived in Prague at the airport on Monday afternoon, after a wretched experience at Schipol, which is Amsterdam's airport. Everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE was there a line, and I think I waited for atleast 3 hours just going through the motions. Fun. I met my mom at the hotel in Central Prague after meandering through their public transport system from the airport. It was lovely to see my mom after all these months, and we ended up having a lovely time.
For the most part, Prague was spent walking around. Minus a bit of sightseeing, some shopping, lots of eating, some drinking and a few other surprises, we walked, walked and walked. My mom surprised me by the amount she could walk. She's a tough cookie, lemme tell you.
Prague is gorgeous, like most medieval European cities. A main square in the old town, a great Bridge called 'Charles' Bridge' that snakes across the river, a massive castle at the top of a hill, lots of exploratory alleyways and plenty of breathtaking facades. It was overly touristic, like almost to the point where it is a caricature of itself in some ways, but beautiful regardless. We walked around the Jewish Quarter and explored the city's Jewish heritage, including venturing inside one of the oldest synagogues. We counteracted that by hitting up an amazing church that was as otentatious as Versailles. It was amazing. The effort people go into to please God. If God was an interior designer, he'd (or she'd) ask people to probably tone it down a bit, as these houses of worship were as colourful as the remnants of a Saturday night on a Leeds' sidewalk. I couldn't live in those churches/synagogues. God needs sunglasses 24/7. Beautiful regardless.
The Prague Castle is immense and built on top of a huge hill that I walked up at 9PM. There were guards outside standing still and when I went, it was quiet. My mom didn't come with me as she was usually tuckered out after dinner. Another gospelized, middle century triumph, lemme tell you.
Eating in Prague was lovely too. We tried to maximize the Czech food, and found some fantastic restaurants along the way. 'pravda' was one I distinctly remember, and I had one meal where the wine list was encyclopaedic. Also, there was a bar around the corner from our hotel that served traditional czech beer (and food) including Pilzen, Kozel and Budvar for 30 krowns (about $1.25 CDN)! I studied there everyday, lemme tell you. The beer was so cheap, after 3 or pints, studying became facetious.
One night got crazy. I went to an Irish Pub to study (stupid move) and met these two Glaswegians who were watching football. After the game and some drinks, we went to this nightclub that was four stories high, and inside was a Contiki Tour. Needless to say, the reasonably priced White Russians make the rest of the story short. It was fun. I stumbled home in the freezing cold at 5AM.
I was fucking freezing, by the way. Noticeably freezing. Oh, we also did a horse and buggie ride and walked along the river for a while. It was lovely. So there you have it. Prague. Done by Shain.
Back home to real life now. More later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment