Bedouin Soundclash and Airports...
I am sick of Airports. I have been in so many I can't even count, and I have experienced the whole gamut of services, annoyances, time-delays and such. I've decided that airports enrage me so much that I'm going to devote my thesis to exploring how airports and the culture they engender affect us, the travellers. Think about it, in airports you can get drunk at 6AM, are encouraged to buy smokes, booze and perfume, pay ghastly amounts of money for basics and have to be poked and prodded just to be given the privilege to be in them. They are unique places, places of another world, and I'm interested. My brain is ticking.
I went to Tilburg on Tuesday (southwestern NL for the geographically challenged) to see friends of mine, The Bedouin Soundclash. It was their first ever continental European show as part of the Vans Antidote tour with Gogol Bordello, Disco Ensemble and Danko Jones, and even though they are huge in the UK, no one knows them in Europe. Ended up hanging out with them all day, had a blast and then endured a three stopover, 3 hour train-ride at 1AM back from Tilburg to Amsterdam. They only have 'local' trains that late, and Amsterdam Centraal was 14 stops from Rotterdam, which was 8 stops from Den Bosch, which was 4 stops from Tilburg. Tilburg is quite pretty though; like a tiny Amsterdam without all the problems.
So now I am sitting in the computer lab at school waiting for a friend to get off of work. I've gone out every night this week, despite my lack of funds and un-lack of work, and tonight is the same. I've yet to see Borat, so tomorrow I may give him a watch at home and relax. I have a massive presentation on Susan Sontag due Monday, so that's my weekend. Yee-haw.
I'm quite proud of the Iceland piece, and I have a few more in the works for the next few weeks. I just interviewed Bruce Hornsby today and wrote an article, and have pieces on Panic at the Disco, Mala Jube and Cat Power in the pipelines. I'm also looking for more higher profile work, so if anyone knows anyone.. hehe.
Other than that, things are relatively hunky dory. I feel directed and directionless at the same time... ambitious and lazy... paradoxical. I want to do everything, but I know it's impossible. Still, things are chugging along; Kae Sun has some shows in January and I'm going to rejoin the band on stage for a few of them, and we're going to start making the new album in January. Also, logo design and company stuff is in the works, and I'm reworking all our promotional material. I'm also slowly redesigning my website, with the help of my friend Kevin, and writing the odd paper now and then.
So there you have it. comprehensive and fresh.. toodle-oo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment