Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Here We Go Again...

Well, I had this grandiose post that, when written, felt like one of my best posts ever on Monday, but somehow my embryonic knowledge of dutch keyboards deleted it before I posted it. Therefore, I'm going to try and recreate it as best as I can.

First I am going to talk about school. School is enthralling. Absolutely enthralling. This is the most challenging thing I'll have ever put myself through as of yet, but I am ready for the challenge. The courses are exactly as impressive as I thought, and my reading list is montrous, but it's all good. My professors are intimidating. For example, one of my courses, a classic text course in media studies is tought by three adjoint professors. One is the national archivist for the Netherlands and the other two are best selling authors. In Cultural Analysis, my core course is tought by the head of the faculty who just came from Northwestern University. Plus, both courses are small (15-20) and contain people from all over the world. Atleast ten nationalities are represented in each. It's amazing. I feel extremely un-exotic when surrounded by people from Korea, Ghana, Puerto Rico, the US, Russia, Netherlands, Belgium, Indonesia etc... Plus, half of my course already have their MA and are going for a second because this is the best course in Europe in Cultural Analysis. I am one lucky, extremely frightened duck.

As for how I'm doing integrating, their are ups and downs. Today I suffered a major setback, when I realized that the girl who helped me with my initial residence permit fucked up, accidentally checking the 'not allowed to work' box instead of the right 'allowed to work' box. I am legally allowed to work, but without proper documentation, I can't apply for a tax number and therefore can't get paid. Therefore, I'm working here, somewhat illegally for the time being and not getting paid, while all my work is being bankrolled until I sort this out. It could take weeks, maybe a month to sort this out.

The red tape in the Netherlands is to the likes of which I have seen. It is amazing how much protocol you have to go through to integrate. It borders insanity. I believe this is because despite the veil of Holland being a liberal, welcoming society, they are actually extremely inclusive and xenophobic. They don't want people here, and make your life hell as a result. It's hard accepting the fact that you are a foreigner, first and foremost. Not a person in the system, but a foreigner. I know it will all work out, but patience is a virtue. My bank account is still not entirely sorted, as my Internet Banking requires a seperate application that the bank initiates and I've yet to receive the documentation. Fun.

Okie... more...

My computer crashed on Thursday and I just got it back today. Unfortunately I have some issue with my Internet settings and cannot access MSN Messenger yet, but everything else is sorted. My external HD crashed as well, which made my heart sink, but it's being fixed for a pretty penny. 100GB of music is on there, and losing it would be heartwrenching. Thankfully I backed up 3/5ths of it on my Ipod. I should have that back by the end of the week. I apologize to any and all who I've neglected throughout this process. Being without a computer was a bitch, but somewhat liberating.

Oh, and I discovered I have cable. 4 English channels taboot. Law and Order last nite was a blast.

Now onto how I've been getting by with the locals here. There seems to be a bunch of lovely folk at school, and I have get togethers both Thursday and Friday to get to know them more. I've had my lovely friend Deja Gordon here since Friday, and she's staying another week, so it's been nice having a Canadian pal here to gripe with. We spent the weekend together, doing nothing much but walking around the city. We did see Malian singer Mory Kante at the Seven Seasons Outdoor Fest here in Amsterdam on Saturday and it was fantastic. It was on a barge set up on Reguliersgracht Canal. He had a nine piece traditional band. Fantastic. Tonite I'm off to see Cursive.

Other than that, it's been status quo. Some days are emphatically lovely and other wreched, but I'm getting by. Some days homesick, others travel-sick. I found a super cheap plane ticker to Leeds on Jet2 and will be there Sep 28 - Oct 1 for the weekend, and plans are still in the works to go to Iceland for the Airwaves Festival. I am excited for both. I am also trying to find a way to get on Birthright, but that will have to wait till next week when the European selection process begins. More on that later.

In closing, everyday is an adventure and a challenge. Walking around knowing nothing of the language is tough, and often I feel either ignorant or an idiot. Meeting the dutch is tough too, but slowly but surely I'm meeting some amazing people. I feel like I'm growing shy, or at least more shy, because I'm so intimidated socially and intellectually right now. I'm trying to be more forward, but it is a challenge. I have identified this, and I believe I've gotten through the first step of being more social and open... I just sometimes don't know what I can contribute to conversations, when culturally or ideologically, they are beyond my scope. Things are improving though.

Lastly, tomorrow was supposed to be Alli's 27th Birthday. I miss her more than I've missed anyone before, and I love her everyday. Happy Birthday Alli. I miss you and I love you.

Till Next Time...

No comments: