Thursday, April 19, 2007

What a Day!

It's worth explaining.. well, not in depth, but well enough for everyone to enjoy the foibles I experienced. After having breakfast with Renee, I boarded a train from Amsterdam -> Den Haag. Unfortunately, the switched the track on us last minute, and we had to bolt it (a few people and myself) to catch the train. The day started well. I went to this award ceremony at a museum in Den Haag, as I was to receive an award for getting this scholarship last year. I won't go into details, but for the most part, the ceremony was a formality. I got out of Den Haag Centraal and boarded the wrong tram, going 7 stops out of my way before realizing I was an idiot. I got out - in a nice area mind you - crossed the street and got on the right tram, and 18 stops later and 30 minutes late I was at the ceremony. I stayed for an hour or so, because I had to leave the catch the train to Eindhoven for my flight to London. I wish I could have stayed. Lots of really smart people and a great networking opportunity. Ah well.

So I took a packed train to Utrecht - sitting on the floor - to transfer to Eindhoven. That's where the real fun began. The train I was scheduled to take never showed up, the next one stopped at the station and never started again, and forty-five minutes later I was on another packed train, this time standing in the middle of the carriage, praying that I wouldn't miss my flight. Thankfully I met a really nice Dutch guy from Den Bosch who calmed me down, and fifty minutes later, I was in Eindhoven, pissed off, tired and hungry.

I ran from the train, down the stairs and out to the exit and hailed a cab. I begged him to take me for €20 to the airport, which he did, and he high-tailed it, even parking on the sidewalk at the airport to give me a better chance to make the check-in. As I was running to the check-in, the sign switched from 'open' to 'closed.' I ran up, threw my bag down and begged, again, for them to let me on, and they did. I sat through security, was the last person on the packed Ryanair flight and passed out, awakening forty minutes in London.

After a forty-six minute train ride from Stansted and another thirty on the tube, I made it back to my brother's, and I'm here now writing this, pooped while my friends are partying at the Camden Crawl, a big music festival down the road. I'm going tomorrow.

No comments: