Monday, December 18, 2006

Geneva,

I am back from Geneva, and I refused to check my e-mail when I was 'on vacation,' so here go begins some sort of makeshift 'round-up' of the festivities in a gorgeous, yet wildly expensive city. I'll stop putting 'quotation marks' on everything and get to it.

I landed on THR at 4PM, knowing full well my friends would have to go to work the next day. My friend Meghan lives in a flat with three of her coworkers in Plain Palais, a nice student neighbourhood that has a propensity for circuses, so her flat is aptly titled 'the circus.' It's a nice pun, as the organization she works for that put her up, Franciscans International, has owned the flat for years so the moniker has apparently been earned. There was a circus across the street the entire time I stayed also, even though we never made it there, except to buy a baguette of all things from a carney because that was the only way to get one on Sunday.

Geneva is lovely. All swiss cities are lovely. Geneva is small and loops around Lake Geneva, which provides a beautiful waterfront that is fun to walk around and plenty of boutique shops. Plus, everyone is rich, so much of the city is structured in a wealthy, French way. Big, ornate buildings, gorgeous balconies and plenty of flowers. This time around, it was Christmas trees that took precedent, but regardless, the flora was all over.

THR was spent getting to know her roomates and drinking at a neighbourhood bar. The beer they have there on tap is really good, called Feldschlossen. I remember drinking it in Basel... it may have contributed to the German Smooching Story, but that's another blog entry. Anywho, we had dinner at a Thai Place, relaxed and chilled as they were to go to work the next day.

After walking and walking and walking around both the gorgeous and not-so-gorgeous parts of Geneva the next day, one of the roomate's boyfriends and I decided to head up towards their work, where most of the UN's NGO's live and surprise them. Two of them could leave with us (Meaghan and Caroline) and we went grocery shopping and made dinner. After dinner, more inebriates took hold of our languid bodies (me from walking, them from working) and we pretty much just went to sleep, unless I am forgetting something. I remember drinking enough before leaving the flat to lubricate me from the impending cold.

Saturday Meaghan took me around Geneva, and I explored the Old Town, sampled some fantastic Olive Oil, walked and walked and walked, ate Quiche and ended up in Globus, which is a Pusateri's for even richer people with FREE SAMPLES. We spent over an hour sampling brandy, apple ice cider, champagne, chocolate (oh the chocolate) and others before we ran into my friend Nat and headed back. After Globus, my other friend Eamon invited us for dinner, and the rest of the night is much of a blur. He cooked mexican food and had tons of Vodka, as well some new friends of his from Geneva. After dinner, we went to a Geneva Squat Bar, a weird place open after 2AM with 3 franc beers and odd people. Let's just say it was an experience.. of some kind. Eamon's balcony has a lovely view of the lake and the waterjet (a big shooting jet of water in the lake that is a sort of tourist trap), provided the perfect backdrop for a dinner party. It was all I could ask for. Thanks dude.

On Sunday we woke up late and I made brunch for everyone. It consisted of a veggie and brie quiche with potato topping and grilled sausages for the meat eaters... Plus plenty of bread and hummos. After brunch with Meaghan, her roomates Caroline and Melissa and Melissa's boyfriend Gavin, we went to the Carouge Christmas Market, which is a sort of German-themed craft market with mulled wine, Grogg (hot wine and vodka) and crafts. It was packed, as it was the only thing open, but I met up with Nat again which was nice. She and I did multimedia together so we have that kinship only us crazy mmedia folks can have... After crafts and tea (coffee for me), we went back to the flat and waited for Eamon to show up before heading out for a pint... After the pint, we came home to find Nat and Farhad's lovely girlfriend Nikki cooking us dinner, which was fantastic.. More beers followed and now I am back in Amsterdam, pooped and sad because I've returned to real life.

Quick Notes:
1. Switzerland is EXPENSIVE. Beware when you go. The girls stopped caring, as they knew it was a rich country.
2. I bought a shitload of chocolate.. Non-denominational holiday gifts for all.
3. Swiss Vodka is better than any other Vodka. You can drink it straight.


I am going back to North America on WED. How crazy. Where did the time go. wow.

No comments: