Monday, March 26, 2007

Moving...


I wish I could explain how we moved two couches through our second story window last night. I took some pictures before we did what we did; but when we were actually doing it, I was busy trying not to have a couch fall on my head that was suspending two stories off the ground on a rope.

So here is how we did it. We strung a pully from a hook that sits on the top of our building's facade, essentially. Yet, we realized that when the facade was renovated (it is a 300 year old building), the window in the facade was not big enough and our couch wont fit. So, what we did was walk the couch up one flight of stairs to our neighbours living room. We strung it out on their balcony and then pullied up the couch, literally, up to our flat one story from their balcony. We tied a net under the couch to harness it and suspended it 15 feet in the air with two ropes, while we used our muster to pull it up. I was guiding the couch so it wouldn't break a window. It was something else. We have a nice couch set now and I feel like A REAL AMSTERDAMMER.

So I'm moved in now. Still boxes awash our living room, but we've made a stark improvement since last week, and it is really looking like home. This weekend was LONG. On Saturday we went to my flatmate's storage locker late at 9:30 realizing the the compound closes and locks us in while calling the cops to arrest us at 11. We made a mad dash for his stuff and got out at 10:58PM. haha. Then we spent 4 grueling hours at IKEA and then another 2 at his locker on Sunday before pullying the couch up. I missed work and baseball, but now I have a flat to call home. I'm super lucky, cause this place is brilliant.

I have baseball tonite. Practice at our home field, which is way in the outskirts of amsterdam. It is about 50 minutes from me by bike, but I'll take the tram. Excited for Brady/Lori this weekend and my family the next weekend. My mom is never gonna make it up my stairs to see the flat though. They are 90 degrees up; you're faced with them when you walk in, eye to eye. I guess I'll need another rope and pully.

No comments: