Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I love San Sebastian,

Our hostel is fantastic. It is called Olga's Place and it is a guesthouse, where the owner and his family live in a room next to hours. This is the first time on this trip where I have stayed at a place that actually feels like home. San Sebastian is a wonderful place. It is in Basque Country, where they dont speak Spanish, they speak Basque, which is said to be descended from the Iberians and not related to any other language on Earth. We communicate through broken French and pointing most of the time. The town is also dirt cheap. The five of us spent 25€ and bought enough food for three meals and eight, count em eight, bottles of wine. We made pasta for dinner last night and made French Toast this morning, which was amazing because we have not had a 'real' breakfast in weeks. Usually, it is just bread and cheese, which in this town is more than fine with me.

We met up with almost a dozen people from our hostel and went out last night. There were a few Australians, some more Canadians and some Americans. We went to a bar that was 2 for 1 on Monday night and the rest of the evening is more or less a blur. Lance, Kowski and Kalman paired up with girls, even though Kalman's threw up right after he kissed her. Apparantely he bought her one too many drinks, and this Edmontonian (she is from Edmonton) could not handle either one; the drinks and Kalman. Kowski met a girl from Charlotte who was taller than him, prompting Fisch, Kalman and I to refer to him and her as kissing giraffes. The quote of the day, or atleast one I remember will refer to that below. I drank too much Sangria and got lost walking home, yet I was still the first one back.

Today is Kowski's Birthday, so we spent it at the beach. The sand at this beach is much better than the sand in Barcelona, in my opinion and the water is slightly warmer. All five of us spent quite some time in the water, trying to 'catch waves' and body surf. There is not a cloud in the sky, and there is a nice cool breeze to top it all off. We still havent seen rain. Amazing.

Tomorrow we are going to do some sightseeing as there is a tram that takes you to the top of the mountain that overlooks this town for amazing views, and there is a world-class aquarium. No more beach days after this, as we are taking the night train, again, to Paris tomorrow night, where will spend a few more days together and split up with Lance and Kalman. More updates later. Much love.

Shain

"We are so screwed communicating with anyone... so you know who will end up hating us? Everyone." - Fisch and Shain

"Kowski and the girl are like giraffe-tit-park" - Kalman

"I dont even care" - the motto of the trip

this is paradise.. I am soaking up each and every moment...

No comments: